Zoomsday!

Today was the day I dislike the most.  Insurance day.  I don't know how you all feel about it, but I already read the information you sent out for the meeting, I saw the price of my insurance and was relieved it wasn't a big jump.  I don't feel like I need to go through the whole presentation.   Usually, I want to poke my eyes and ears out with whatever is nearest -- a pen, a fork, my fingers-- it doesn't matter.  My school books those meetings back to back in one sitting.  I have sat through enough of them that I can give the AFLAC presentation.  Maybe that would make it more entertaining for me.  In any event, today, that meeting was just as terrible as a Zoom as it is live.  Zoomsday!

Then, the inevitable.  The questions.  Oh, the questions.  It was Zoomsday for sure!  "Now what does out of pocket mean?"  Seriously.   "Why wasn't my (fill in the blank procedure) covered?"   Um, the guy is a salesman, not a doctor or insurance worker.  Zoomsday.  I had to physically stop myself from banging my head repeatedly on the table.  I detest these annual meetings.  (Yes, I know they are required.  If they weren't required, no one would attend them.)

I should be grateful that I have a job, (and I am) that provides good options for insurance (and they are), but I am not the least bit thankful to meet in a group setting to hear the information and to endure the questions that relate to one person.

That said, I am structuring my Math class time allotment (which has been somewhat adjusted to allow for staggered dismissals to prevent overloading the hallways) in a manner that will be inclusive for both the campus student and the off campus student.  I am thinking that between online attendance and allowing for the other protocols we need for the current situation that I will lose several minutes daily.  How can I redeem the time to prevent Zoomsday?

I don't want to create an environment that makes students feel like they are enduring something for the benefit of one, but I don't want to leave anyone out.   My plan is to institute opening stations.  (Like a bell ringer, but something they can do independently, whenever they actually arrive.  Something that builds from day to day, and something they will be anxious to do, not anxious to avoid.)  I want to develop activities that feel like a game, but are really adding value to the period.  I'm considering vocab/theorem "contests" that run themselves (like a quizziz) or a pear deck.  If that goes well, I'll transition to some other kinds of things.  I can't invest too much time in developing it (mostly because I don't have too much time).   I'd like to reward the students for their efforts in some way, but without resorting to extra points on a test.  I'm considering a weekly drawing with weird prizes.  (For example, everyone that provides a screen shot of their "winning" quizziz would be eligible to win the weird prize I draw from the basket.)  

Thus far, my ideas are sketchy, but in the mix could be a homework exemption.  In my homework exemption, it is really you have to do the work, but I give you a 100 no matter what your answer.  This way they get the practice, but with a guaranteed result.   Also, maybe a socially distant chat time during class could be a prize.  (I can't afford to give too much time, but enough to make it a plus).   I'd love to offer some kind of treat, but with COVID I know that is not a real possibility.  I'd love to let them have a switch desk also, but that will involve some disinfecting, so they wouldn't get it until the next time we met.  I also have some clappers from a recent party I hosted (socially distant) and I'm thinking those could be a privilege to use them during class.  As long as I disinfect them properly, I think that could work.  Also, I got a cool book on dimensional geometric origami.  Maybe they could win a make your own kit from me and let them work on it during class.  (I could mail it to the at home kids).

Well, I need to hear from you!   What can make me Zoomtastic and avoid a Zoomsday!  What are you doing to use the time you have to keep everyone motivated and learning while allowing for the new procedures?  

Comments