Sharing is Caring, Don't Let the Year be Wearing!

 

How many times have you said, "Sharing is caring"?   This is something bandied about when someone has a delicious something or other.  Donuts come to mind.  We have a local place that makes donuts so tasty that they make you want to pretend that carbs and sugar don't exist so you can have them one after the other without guilt.   All of their pictures are not labeled for reuse, so you will have to imagine donuts that are far superior to those in this picture.  They are yumalicious.  Seriously, diet breakers.  They are nearly irresistible.   You can not bring them anywhere without planning to share.  They are legendary.  Just thinking about it makes me drool.  It's the kind of place that sells out every morning, and then they close.  So, so delicious.  Many times, I have brought them to work or to a function and have been swarmed.  "Sharing is caring".   

So, inspired by the #MTBosBlaugust folks on twitter, I am posting a couple of digital things that you may use with your classrooms.  Why should I do all of that work, only to know you are doing all of that work?  Let's save each other a few steps.  Sharing is caring, after all.

The first item I sourced the format from Slidesmania.  If you don't know slidesmania, you should.  I learned about them so long ago, and then a fellow blogger in this month's challenge mentioned them.  Lightbulb on.  So, I'm sharing my Geometry notebook.  Basically, I have students make a notebook of all vocab, all theorems, all postulates and all class notes.  I require them to write the learning aims as a way to take ownership of their learning.  My class theme is railroads (yes, a theme in high school.  I'll explain why later this week.) and so the information that they must take with them we call souvenirs.  The learning aims (objectives, ILO's and whatever else people want to call them) are on my board every day.  Students are required to examine themselves daily to see if they know what they should know.  I am really bearing down on this in this time of hybrid, ever changing, possibly digital again in the future school year.  It is essential, now, more than ever, for students to take charge of their position in the learning process.  I'm encouraging them to draw examples for each of the theorems.  Normally, this type of thing is in a notebook I provide to students.  I am hopeful that this can be a great help in the environment in which we are operating.

We are day two, and the list of homebound and campus students changes it seems hourly.  I have a billion emails.  Some students could not stand the digital and came back on campus today.  A few couldn't take the all day interaction with people and switched back to home bound.  Sidebar comment, I was brokenhearted to speak with him after school.  He is in emotional distress, in my opinion, and just can not deal with the hustle, bustle of school life.  I worry for him.  He is not in my classes, but his sister is, so I will be able to follow up on his progress in a more personal way.  I guess we can expect some emotional fragmentation as collateral damage from the pandemic.  I've known this kid since he was in Kindergarten, and he is not himself.  He is different than he was in the Spring when I had him in an online class.  I'll be following up, reaching out, and alerting those who can speak into his life.

The other share is a simple algebra mat that I used with some kids who were just learning integers.  They loved it. :)

Here's a link to the resources.   Feel free to use, adapt or whatever.  If there is another thing that you'd like to convert to digital, just ask.  I may have already made one, or we may be able to get someone else who has done so.  There is no reason at all why we should all be wearing ourselves down.  We need to make things easy on ourselves and share what is working!  After all, sharing is caring.








Resource

Comments