Back to School - Again, This time on Steroids!

“Back to school on steroids” was the phrase my sister gave to me yesterday.  She and I teach at the same school (I am a rich woman to be with family and friends at my school), and we just started week 2 of online teaching.

Teachers, do you feel the same?

Last week, we did all of our teaching with video clips, screen casts and email.  Each day, I used a product called Screencastify to prepare 5 minute or less video clips (talk about chunking!) and sent the links to my students. ” Live from my Craftroom”, as I like to phrase my “show”.  Jimmy Kimmel has nothing on me.  I have had guests on my program.  Dancing Colleen (a doll dressed as an Irish step dancer given to me by a friend) came on screen several times as I erased the board.  Don’t tell my friend, but Colleen’s dress made a great eraser for my mini white board.:)  I created a tutorial for Screencastify for my friends at work, and if you want it, just let me know and I’ll share.  It is super simple to use and free.  Special thanks to Cult of Pedagogy for the introduction.  (I’m taking the Jump Start Technology course, and that was one of the many things I have been implementing from that course. I wasn’t sure the class would be worth $149, but so far, so good.)

This week, it has been Google Classroom and Google meet.  I am meeting with each class, every day, at their regular times.  The learning curve there has been steep for some of my colleagues, but for most of the tech savvy ones, it has been a steep training curve.  It has been sharing how to do things with our friends, which I would never regret.  Our parents and students have needed tech support as well.  Ironically, the students are digital natives, but they are not as savvy as one would have supposed.  Did I mention the thousands of emails that I have answered concerning tech support for the families?

All the while, we are trying to create innovative, interesting and content rich learning opportunities for our students.  My school,  wisely, has decided to continue grading the work in a climate where our public counterparts have determined not to do so.  We are working to provide equitable learning for all, whether they have adequate technology or not.   I am recording every lesson I teach for the sake of students who can not join me live, and for those who need the support of hearing it again.  In fact, should I ever get back to my school’s campus, I am considering filming all of my lessons for the same reasons.  (absences and additional support).  That’s my current train of thought.

While I have not been commuting (45 minutes one way), I am working more hours than ever.  I am working 9 or 10 hours, having a meal, and then working about 5 to 6 hours after that.  And, I’m not finishing everything.  I am social distancing because it is required, but, honestly, I’d be social distancing out of exhaustion and unavailability due to the workload.  Last Tuesday, I sat in one chair for 10 hours straight with the exception of lunch and restroom breaks.  To reiterate my sister’s commentary – it is like back to school time on steroids.

This week, I am trying to stand up every hour – even if it is for 10 seconds.   I walk the length of my hallway between classes.  I am working to create a balance between work and life although both are taking place in my home.  How about you?  Are you taking care to keep work and life in balance?  This week, I am making an effort to stop and take a real break at the normal end of the school day.  I will do grading at night, but not until I have had a real break.  I am behind on grading, but I am going to take a break each day anyway.

Truly, I love teaching from home, but now, it is up to me to make sure that I truly get to be at home.  So, I’m setting the alarm, and when it rings, I will not do one other thing for school.  I hope you will do the same.  Read a book.  Call a friend.  Play a game.  Do something that feeds and refreshes you every day.  Get your home back to being your home.  The emails and ungraded digital assignments will be there tomorrow.  Take a break, and as we all know, we will be fresh and better prepared to face the new day.

It’s time to stop the steroids.  It’s time to skip a second back to school season.  Now, I’m off to start to teach myself how to knit a pair of socks.  🙂


First published April 1, 2020

Comments