Another Saturday Catching Up? ARGH!

One of the biggest annoyances and detriments to retention of teachers in the field of education are the 926 hour weeks.  Okay, maybe a slight exaggeration, but if you know a teacher, if you are a teacher, if you were a teacher, you can totally relate to that statement.  Teaching is time consuming.

Many other people have written and considered and discussed the shortcuts to preparation, to assessment, to communication and any other aspect of teaching, but the problem remains.  The amount of work to be done exceeds the amount of time a person possesses.  So you have a few choices which follow:

  1. Work as many hours as humanly possible, while squeezing in the people and the things that you love in what you will term as your personal life, such as it is.  Work until you are only able to arrive exhausted and/or distracted at every family event.  Keep searching for the silver bullet that will solve the dilemma believing that certainly there must be a solution since teaching is your life's calling, your passion and your worthy contribution to society.
  2. Create as many shortcuts as you can, but always feel guilty that you are not operating on the best level professionally.  Living with self-recrimination that you are robbing the students of the best experience they could have because you are not handling everything that needs to be done for the sake of time.
  3. Quit.  Stop feeling guilty.

Well, that is always the list I see in every blog, publication and hear in every podcast.

For me, I have a different take on it that has helped me remain in the education field for over 30 years.  Maybe it will help you.

You will never feel satisfied as long as you are growing and moving forward.  That is a truth in all walks of life.  You just need to learn to enjoy the many small successes along the way.  Really, it is that simple.

Consider the highest level players in any sport.  If they win the top honor in their field, whether a World Series ring (Go Red Sox!), or the Stanley Cup, or a Super Bowl ring, or whatever, they never say, "I've reached the pinnacle of success and I never want to repeat this victory."  No, they celebrate their win, they rejoice in their success and they move on to the next season, getting geared up to try to reach that peak again.

Teachers, we are seasonal, if you will.  We grind, we strive, we develop, we work, we hope, we aggravate, we frustrate, we win, we lose and we do it all in the confines of a world that has a 40 hour week.  Maybe farmers feel the way we do as well.   We need to realize that every season has losses and gains, but the harvest, the end game is worthwhile.

Every season is different.  Some seasons, you are single and have unlimited time to give to the classroom.  Other seasons, you are single, but have so many obligations and responsibilities, you give the classroom the most you can.  Either way, you give your best to the class who has been entrusted to your care, and you learn to celebrate what you can.  Simplify your processes.  Learn from your mistakes, and take it with you to the next season to be a better teacher.

Some seasons, you are newly married and growing a young family, and you need to divide your time differently.  Other seasons, your parents have health concerns, and your time is divided yet again.

Every season has its divisions.  You have to learn to see that the divisions are part of life, and that you need to be aware that the natural guilt and self-recriminations that many teachers host in their minds put an added burden on the divisions.

Champions always strive.  Striving does not allow a great amount of time for satisfaction.  Take time to acknowledge the victory found in each day.  Rejoice in the success, whether personal or professional.

Once I stopped looking for the time when my schedule was perfectly balanced, I was able to focus on what was going well.  That shifted the burden off the divisions and allowed me to be glad for the best effort I was giving to each part of my life.  Are there times I wish I was doing less school work and more family things?  Sure.  But when I reach that point, I make the effort to evaluate what is going well and focus on that.  I adjust what I need to adjust to make things better balanced.

I have come to realize that certain seasons are always inordinately balanced toward school.  I plan my personal life accordingly whenever I can.  End of the quarter when report cards are due is not the time I plan to redecorate my living room.  Beginning of school when I am creating a world for learning is not the time that I plan to host a family gathering.

There are times that life gets in the way of your plans.  It happens.  The best we can do, is the best we can do.

I say all this as the typical Type A overachiever.  I just decided that I will overachieve in finding satisfaction from a job well done before climbing the next vista.  I hope you will too.


First Published 9/30/17

Comments